Download and extract Thrift :
1. Install dependencies (Ubuntu)
sudo apt-get install libboost-dev automake libtool flex bison pkg-config g++
2. Change to Thrift Directory
This should install thrift on your system.
1. Go to http://cassandra.apache.org. On home page there is a link to download the latest stable release. Download the latest version.
2. Save the downloaded file......lets say in /home/Downloads (ubuntu ) .
3. Extract the file to /whereveryoulike/. I use /home/Cassandra62.
4. Change into the directory ... $ cd cassandra62
5. $avemaria-laptop:/home/cassandra62 # : ls
6. Output should be something like this -
bin conf DISCLAIMER.txt lib NOTICE.txt test
build.xml contrib interface LICENSE.txt README.txt
CHANGES.txt debian ivy.xml NEWS.txt src
Now the installation of Cassandra which is pretty easy and straightforward :
cd into directory named 'bin' :
and ./cassandra -f
This will run your cassandra and the output will be shown of the foreground hence the flag -f.
If you see 'Cassandra Starting up' that means your Cassandra is up and running and you are ready to play with her...